ST. PETERSBURG, FL - Congratulations to Tasha Snow on receiving a 2014 Antarctic Science Bursary award for her East Antarctic margin PhD research. The award is £4800, which in real money terms (and a weak US $) is $8140.
Here is more information on the program, which is run by Antarctic Science (a Cambridge University journal) and the British Antarctic Survey.
ST. PETERSBURG, FL - Join us today, June 11th, 2014 for the Tampa Bay Marine Science Happy Hour event from 4:30pm-6:30pm. This month's event will be held at The Ale and the Witch, 111 2nd Ave NE, (Plaza Tower Courtyard) St Petersburg, FL 33701. They have a selection of craft beer on tap and wine. It is a cash bar (ask your server about HH specials) and you can park on the street or in any of the nearby garages.
Nametags will be provided and you may want to bring business cards to share. Please feel free to share this invitation with others who may be interested in attending. You may sign up here.
ST. PETERSBURG - College of Marine Science PhD student Ryan Schenck successfully developed and implemented an outreach activity aimed at introducing junior kindergarten children to the field of oceanography. Ryan brought Callinectes sapidus (Blue Crab) specimens that he is currently using as part of his research examining circular single-stranded DNA viruses in Crustaceans. The children were able to hold them and learn about their importance to the Tampa Bay ecosystem and economy. They also learned about the role that viruses and bacteria play throughout the global oceans. Lastly, a 23-meter seine net was used to capture sea life present on Spa Beach. The children were able to comb through the net, after it was brought on shore, and put the animals in a temporary ‘touch tank’ for observation and hands on learning. This outreach activity took place over three days for three different junior kindergarten classes at Shorecrest Preparatory School. PhD student’s Ileana Freytes-Ortiz, Sean Beckwith, and CMS research assistant Jonelle Basso assisted Ryan during the outreach activity.
Read more at The Experiential School of Tampa Bay.
ST. PETERSBURG - Congratulations to Christian Haller receiving the Jones O’Neill award. The goal of his dissertation is to improve understanding of the geologic record of Dauphin Island (Alabama, Northern Gulf of Mexico), the long term trajectory and morphological evolution which is shaped by hurricanes. In cooperation with the USGS St. Petersburg Coastal and Marine Science Center, Christian seeks to reconstruct Holocene sea level rise, andpaleo-storm induced erosional and depositional events. Christian Haller specializes in applying benthic foraminifera, unicellular microfossils, which are able to record facies- and salinity changes in their assemblages. He also received funding awards this spring from three different geologic and paleontologic societies to date Dauphin Island marsh cores.
Below are some helpful resources on the Jones O'Neill Award.
ST PETERSBURG - Ben Ross's paper has been recently published online in the Journal of Experimental Marine Biology and Ecology. The research was funded by the original BP/FIO funding.
SEATTLE, WA - The 2014 Spoonbill Bowl champions, Eastside High School from Gainesville FL has completed Round Robin competition. They were one of the top 9 teams and advanced to the Double elimination round. Eastside made it to 5th place in the National competition. They did an outstanding job representing the region.
ST. PETERSBURG - The Marine Science Happy Hour this month will be located at Z Grille 104 2nd St. S from 5-7pm. There are parking garages directly North, West and South of the Z Grille, and metered street parking. There will be a full bar and also have HH specials so ask your server about them. Nametags will be provided and bring a business card to drop into our free door prize raffle which will still be drawn at 5:45-6:00 pm. You can sign up for the USFCMS Happy Hour Networking online.
ST. PETERSBURG - Ms. Erin Symonds of the University of South Florida has been awarded a Fulbright Research Grant to Costa Rica to continue her doctoral research at the MarViva Foundation, where she will provide complementary, enhanced measurements and source identification of pollution from biological sources in order to improve watershed management practices. This research will support MarViva's Greater Tempisque River Watershed (GTRW) management project and will help to improve MarViva's understanding of fecal pollution in the GTRW and promote further water management actions.
As a PhD candidate, Erin represents the USF College of Marine Sciences, where her academic achievements have been noted inside and outside the classroom. Her doctoral studies are supported by the US Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) STAR (Science to Achieve Results) Fellowship (2011-2013). In 2013, Erin was a member of a team awarded a USF Interdisciplinary Challenge Grant to execute a rapid assessment of microbial risk from consuming lettuce in the Cochabamba Valley of Bolivia. She is currently the student representative for the USF College of Marine Science Curriculum Committee. Erin has presented her research at National and International scientific conferences and has published in peer-reviewed scientific journals. Additionally, she developed and instructs a course on water sciences intended for motivated high school students through Duke University's Talent Identification Program. As an active member in the community, Erin frequently promotes science education through involvement in the St. Petersburg Science Festival and as a guest speaker at local schools and organizations.
Upon completion of the Fulbright research grant, Erin will defend her dissertation graduate with her doctorate in Marine Science. As a PhD holding scientist, she intends to continue to dedicate herself to the protection of human and environmental health, formally and informally through education, research and capacity building as a post-doctoral researcher and later as a university professor and researcher. Erin received her bachelor's degree in Environmental Science and Biology from the University of Virginia and her master's degree from USF in Marine Science. Erin returned to USF for her doctorate after serving as a Peace Corps volunteer in Guatemala, where she helped establish a water quality laboratory and monitoring program.
Dr. Linda Lucas, Director of the Office of National Scholarships said of Erin's award, "We are very proud of Erin's many significant accomplishments. She will be a wonderful ambassador from the US during her Fulbright experience." The Office of National Scholarships identifies, recruits and mentors high achieving students to apply for national merit scholarships across all disciplines. The scholarships and fellowships are for creative, motivated and academically strong students who are leaders in and out of the classroom.
The Fulbright Program is the flagship international educational exchange program sponsored by the U.S. government and is designed to increase mutual understanding between the people of the United States and the people of other countries. The primary source of funding for the Fulbright Program is an annual appropriation made by the U.S. Congress to the U.S. Department of State, Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs. Participating governments and host institutions, corporations and foundations in foreign countries and in the United States also provide direct and indirect support. Recipients of Fulbright grants are selected on the basis of academic or professional achievement, as well as demonstrated leadership potential in their fields. The Program operates in over 155 countries worldwide. The Fulbright U.S. Student Program is administered by the Institute of International Education.
ST. PETERSBURG - Compiled below are the 2013 publications for all USFCMS faculty.
1. Anderson, J. C., J. Wang, J. Zeng, G. Leptoukh, M. Petrenko, C. Ichoku, and C. Hu (2013) Long-term Statistical Assessment of Aqua-MODIS Aerosol Optical Depth over Coastal Regions: Bias Characteristics and Uncertainty Sources. Tellus B 65, 20805. http://dx.doi.org/10.3402/tellusb.v65i0.20805.
2. Astor, Y. M., L. Lorenzoni, R. Thunell, R. Varela, F. Muller-Karger, L. Troccoli, G. T. Taylor, M. I. Scranton, E. Tappa, and D. Rueda (2013) Interannual variability in sea surface temperature and fCO2 changes in the Cariaco Basin. Deep-Sea Research II, special issue of Ocean Biogeochemistry Time Series Research, doi 10.1016/j.dsr2.2013.01.002.
3. Ballerini, T., E. E. Hofmann, D. G. Ainley, K. L. Daly, M. Marrari, C. Ribic, W. O. Smith, Jr., and J. H. Steele (2013) Productivity and Linkages of the Food Web of the Southern Region of the Western Antarctic Peninsula. Progress in Oceanography, http://dx.doi.org./10.1016/j.pocean.2013.11.007.
4. Barnes, B. B., C. Hu, B. A. Schaeffer, Z. Lee, D. A. Palandro, and J. C. Lehrter (2013) MODIS-derived spatiotemporal water clarity patterns in optically shallow Florida Keys waters: a new approach to remove bottom contamination. Remote Sens. Environ. 134, 377-391.
5. Barnes, B. B., and C. Hu (2013) A hybrid cloud detection algorithm to improve MODIS sea surface temperature data quality and coverage over the eastern Gulf of Mexico. IEEE Trans. Geosci. Remote Sensing, doi:10.1109/TGRS.2012.2223217.
6. Barón-Aguilar, C. C., N. R. Rhody, N. P. Brennan, K. L. Main, E. B. Peebles and F. E. Muller-Karger (2013) Influence of temperature on yolk resorption in common snook Centropomus undecimalis (Bloch, 1792) larvae. Aquaculture Research, doi: 10.1111/are.12323.
7. Batchelder, H. P., K. L. Daly, C.S. Davis, R. Ji, M. D. Ohman, W. T. Peterson, and J. A. Runge (2013) Climate Impacts on Zooplankton Populations Dynamics in Coastal Marine Systems. Oceanography 26 (4), 34-51.
8. Bonin, J. and D. P. Chambers (2013) Uncertainty Estimates of GRACE Inversion Modeling Technique over Greenland Using a Simulation. Geophys. J. Intl., doi: 10.1093/gji/ggt091.
9. Bout-Roumazeilles, V., A. Riboulleau, E. Armynot du Châtelet, L. Lorenzoni, N. Tribovillard, R. W. Murray, F. Müller-Karger, and Y. M. Astor (2013) Clay mineralogy of surface sediments as a tool for deciphering river contributions to the Cariaco Basin (Venezuela). Journal of Geophysical Research, DOI: 10.1002/jgrc.20079.
10. Burghart, S. E., D. L. Jones and E. B. Peebles (2013) Variation in estuarine consumer communities along an assembled eutrophication gradient; Implications for food web instability. Estuaries and Coasts 36, 951-965.
11. Calafat, F. M., and D. P. Chambers (2013) Quantifying recent acceleration in sea level unrelated to internal climate variability. Geophys. Res. Lett. 40, 1-6, doi:10.1002/grl.50731.
12. Calafat, F. M., D. P. Chambers, and M. N. Tsimplis (2013) Inter-annual to decadal sea-level variability in the coastal zones of the Norwegian and Siberian Seas: The role of atmospheric forcing. J. Geophys. Res. Oceans 118, doi:10.1002/ jgrc.20106.
13. Cannizzaro, J. P., P. R. Carlson Jr., L. A. Yarbro, and C. Hu (2013) Optical variability along a river plume gradient: Implications for management and remote sensing. Estuarine, Coastal and Shelf Science 131, 149-161. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.ecss.2013.07.012.
14. Cannizzaro, J. P., C. Hu, K. L. Carder, C. R. Kelble, N. Melo, E. M. Johns, G. A. Vargo, and C. A. Heil (2013) On the accuracy of SeaWiFS ocean color data products on the West Florida Shelf. J. Coastal Res., DOI: 10.2112/JCOASTRESD-12-00223.1.
15. Cardenas-Valencia, A. M., L. Adornato, R. Bell, R. H. Byrne, and R. T. Short (2013) Evaluation of reagentless pH modification for in situ ocean analysis: determination of dissolved inorganic carbon using mass spectrometry. Rapid Communications in Mass Spectrometry 27, 1–8, DOI: 10.1002/rcm.6487.
16. Church, M. J., M. W. Lomas, and F. Muller-Karger (2013) Sea Change: Charting the course for biogeochemical ocean time series research in a new millennium. Deep-Sea Research II, special issue of Ocean Biogeochemistry Time Series Research, 93:2–15. ISSN 0967-0645, http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.dsr2.2013.01.035.
17. Coble, P. G. (2013) Colored Dissolved Organic Matter, p. 98-118, in: Subsea Optics and Imaging, Watson, J & Zielinski, O., eds. Woodhead Publishing, Cambridge.
18. Cross, J. N., J. T. Mathis, N. R. Bates and R. H. Byrne (2013) Conservative and non-conservative variations of total alkalinity on the southeastern Bering Sea shelf. Marine Chemistry 154, 100-112. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.marchem.2013.05.012
19. Dayaram, A., K. A. Potter, A. B. Moline, D. D. Rosenstein, M. Marinov, J. E. Thomas, M. Breitbart, K. Rosario, G. R. Arguello-Astorga, and A. Varsani (2013) High global diversity of cycloviruses amongst dragonflies. Journal of General Virology 94, 1827-1840.
20. Drexler, M., and C. H. Ainsworth (2013) Generalized Additive Models Used to Predict Species Abundance in the Gulf of Mexico: An Ecosystem Modeling Tool. PLoS ONE, 8(5), e64458, doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0064458.
21. Drexler, M. D., M. L. Parker, S. P. Geiger, W. S. Arnold, and P. Hallock (2013) Population biology of the Eastern Oyster (Crassostrea virginica) inhabiting reef, mangrove, seawall, and restoration substrates. Estuaries and Coasts, DOI 10.1007/s12237-013-9727-8.
22. Dunlap, D. S., T. F. F. Ng, K. Rosario, J. G. Barbosa, A. M. Greco, M. Breitbart, and I. Hewson (2013) Molecular and microscopic evidence of viruses in marine copepods. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences USA 110, 1375-1380.
23. Dwivedi, B., B. Xue, D. Lundin, R. A. Edwards, and M. Breitbart (2013) A bioinformatics analysis of ribonucleotide reductase genes in phage genomes and metagenomes. BMC Evolutionary Biology 13, 33.
24. Easley, R. A., M. C. Patsavas, R. H. Byrne, X. Liu, R. A. Feely, and J. T. Mathis (2013) Spectrophotometric Measurements of Calcium Carbonate Saturation States in Seawater. Environmental Science and Technology 47, 1468–1477, doi:10.1021/es303631g.
25. Feng, L., C. Hu, X. Chen, and X. Zhao (2013) Dramatic inundation changes of China’s largest freshwater lakes linked to the Three Gorges Dam. Environmental Science and Technology 47, 9628-9634.
26. Hewson, I., G. Ng, W. F. Li, B. A. LaBarrel, I. Aguirre, J. G. Barbosa, M. Breitbart, A. W. Greco, C. M. Kearns, A. Looil, L. R. Schaffner, P. D. Thompson, and N. G. Hairston Jr (2013) Metagenomic identification, seasonal dynamics and potential transmission mechanisms of a Daphnia-associated single-stranded DNA virus in two temperate lakes. Limnology and Oceanography 58, 1605-1620.
27. Hine, A. C. (2013) Offshore oil drilling—why we have no choice but to continue to do so: Greenwood Press. Invited 10 page opinion op-ed essay. "Is Offshore Oil Drilling Worth the Environmental Risk?." World Geography: Understanding a Changing World. ABC-CLIO. Web. 31 Dec. 2013; http://worldgeography2.abcclio.com/Ideas/Display/1813691?cid=1813691&terms=offshore+oil+drilling; http://worldgeography2.abc-clio.com/Ideas/Display/1813691?cid=1813693.
28. Hine, A. C., S. Dunn, and S. D. Locker (2013) Geologic Beginnings of the Gulf of Mexico with Emphasis on the Formation of the De Soto Canyon; DEEP-C publication; http://deep-c.org/news-and-multimedia/in-the-news/geologic-beginnings-of-the-gulf-of-mexico-with-emphasis-on-the-formation-of-the-de-soto-canyon.
29. Hine, A. C., D. Nummedal, and J. C. Boothroyd (2013) Glacial outwash plain shoreline; south-central Iceland: Coastalcare.org publication (reviewed; http://coastalcare.org/2013/07/glacial-outwash-plain-shoreline-south-central-iceland/http://coastalcare.org ).
30. Hu, C., L. Feng, and Z. Lee (2013) Uncertainties of SeaWiFS and MODIS remote sensing reflectance: Implications from clear water measurements. Remote Sens. Environ. 133, 163-182.
31. Huang, Y., R. H. Weisberg, and L. Zheng (2013) Gulf of Mexico hurricane wave simulations using SWAN: Bulk formula based drag coefficient sensitivity for Hurricane Ike. J. Geophys. Res.-Oceans 118, 1–23, doi:10.1002/jgrc.20283.
32. Johnson, G. F., and D. P. Chambers (2013) Ocean Bottom Pressure Seasonal Cycles and Decadal Trends from GRACE Release-05: Ocean Circulation Implications. J. Geophys. Res. Oceans 118, doi:10.1002/jgrc.20307.
33. Kelmo, F., and P. Hallock (2013) Responses of foraminiferal assemblages to ENSO climate patterns on bank reefs of northern Bahia, Brazil: A 17-year record. Ecological Indicators 30, 148-157. DOI:10.1016/j.ecolind.2013.02.009.
34. Kerr, P. C., A. S. Donahue, J. J. Westerink, R. A. Luettich Jr., L. Y. Zheng, R. H. Weisberg, Y. Huang, H. V. Wang, Y. Teng, D. R. Forrest, A. Roland, A. T. Haase, A. W. Kramer, A. A. Taylor, J. R. Rhome, J. C. Feyen, R. P. Signell, J. L. Hanson, M. E. Hope, R. M. Estes, R. A. Dominguez, R. P. Dunbar, L. N. Semeraro, H. J. Westerink, A. B. Kennedy, J. M. Smith, M. D. Powell, V. J. Cardone, and A. T. Cox (2013) U.S. IOOS coastal and ocean modeling testbed: Inter-model evaluation of tides, waves, and hurricane surge in the Gulf of Mexico. J. Geophys. Res.-Oceans 118, 5129–5172. doi:10.1002/jgrc.20376.
35. Le, C., and C. Hu (2013) A hybrid approach to estimate chromophoric dissolved organic matter in turbid estuaries from satellite measurements: A case study for Tampa Bay. Opt Express 21, 18849-18871, doi:10.1364/OE.21.018849.
36. Le, C., C. Hu, J. Cannizzaro, and H. Duan (2013) Long-term distribution patterns of remotely sensed water quality parameters in Chesapeake Bay. Estuarine, Coastal and Shelf Science 128, 93-103. doi: 10.1016/j.bbr.2011.03.031.
37. Le, C., C. Hu, J. Cannizzaro, D. English, and C. Kovach (2013) Climate-driven chlorophyll a changes in a turbid estuary: Observation from satellites and implications for management. Remote Sens. Environ. 130, 11-24.
38. Le, C., C. Hu, J. Cannizzaro, D. English, F. Muller-Karger, and Z. Lee (2013) Evaluation of chlorophyll-a remote sensing algorithms for an optically complex estuary. Remote Sens. Environ. 129, 75-89.
39. Le, C., C. Hu, D. English, J. Cannizzaro, Z. Chen, L. Feng, R. Boler, and C. Kovach (2013) Towards a long-term chlorophyll-a data record in a turbid estuary using MODIS observations. Progress in Oceanography 109, 90-103.
40. Le, C., C. Hu, D. English, J. Cannizzaro, Z. Chen, C. Kovach, C. J. Anastasiou, J. Zhao, and K. L. Carder (2013) Inherent and apparent optical properties of the complex estuarine waters of Tampa: What controls light? Estuarine, Coastal and Shelf Science 117, 54-69.
41. Lee, Z., C. Hu, S. Shang, K. Du, M. Lewis, R. Arnone, and R. Brewin (2013) Penetration of UV-Visible solar radiation in the global oceans: Insights from ocean color remote sensing. J. Geophys. Res. Oceans 118, doi:10.1002/jgrc.20308.
42. Lenes, J. M., J. J. Walsh, and B. P. Darrow (2013) Simulating cell death in the termination of Karenia brevis blooms: Implications for predicting aerosol toxicity vectors to humans. Mar. Ecol. Progr. Ser. 492, 71-81.
43. Levin, P. S., C. R. Kelble, R. L. Shuford, C. H. Ainsworth, Y. deReynier, R. Dunsmore, M. J. Fogarty, K. Holsman, E. A. Howell, M. E. Monaco, S. A. Oakes, and F. Werner (2013) Guidance for implementation of integrated ecosystem assessments: a US perspective. ICES Journal of Marine Science, doi:10.1093/icesjms/fst112.
44. Liu, X., R. H. Byrne, L. Adornato, K. K. Yates, E. Kaltenbacher, X. Ding and B. Yang (2013) In situ spectrophotometric measurement of dissolved inorganic carbon in seawater. Environmental Science and Technology 47, 11106-11114. dx.doi.org/10.1021/es4014807.
45. Lorenzoni, L., G. T. Taylor, C. Benitez-Nelson, D. Hansell, R. Masserini, E. Montes, K. Fanning, R. Varela, Y. Astor, L. Guzmán, and F. E. Muller-Karger (2013) Spatial and seasonal variability of dissolved organic matter in the Cariaco Basin. Journal of Geophysical Research – Biogeosciences 118, 951–962. DOI: 10.1002/jgrg.20075.
46. Luther, M. E., G. Meadows, E. Buckley, S. A. Gilbert, H. Purcell, and M. Tamburri (2013) Verification of Wave Measurement Systems. J. Mar. Tech. 47, 104-116.
47. McDaniel, L. D., K. Rosario, M. Breitbart, and J. H. Paul (2013) Comparative metagenomics: Natural populations of induced prophages demonstrate highly unique, lower diversity viral sequences. Environmental Microbiology, doi: 10.1111/1462-2920.12184.
48. McIntyre-Wressnig, A., J.M. Bernhard, D.C. McCorkle, and P. Hallock (2013) Non-lethal effects of ocean acidification on the symbiont-bearing benthic foraminifera Amphistegina gibbosa. Marine Ecology Progress Series 472, 45-60. DOI:10.3354/meps09918.
49. Merrifield, M. A., P. Thompson, R. S. Nerem, D. P. Chambers, G. T. Mitchum, M. Menéndez, E. Leuliette, L. Miller, J. J. Marra, W. Sweet, and S. Holgate (2013) Sea level variability and change, in “State of the Climate in 2012”. Bull. Amer. Met. Soc. 94, 68-72.
50. Meyers, S., A. J. Linville, and M. E. Luther (2013) Alteration of residual circulation due to large-scale infrastructure in a drowned riverbed estuary. Estuaries and Coasts, doi:10.1007/s12237-013-9691-3.
51. Miranda, L. D., R. H. Byrne, R. T. Short and R. J. Bell (2013) Calibration of membrane inlet mass spectrometric measurements of dissolved gasses: Differences in the responses of polymer and nano-composite membranes to variations in ionic strength. Talanta 116, 217-222, http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.talanta.2013.05.014
52. Montes, E., M. Altabet, F. Muller-Karger, M. Scranton, L. Lorenzoni, and Y. Astor (2013) Biogenic nitrogen gas production at the oxic-anoxic interface in the Cariaco Basin, Venezuela. Biogeosciences 10, 267-279 doi:10.5194/bg-10-267-2013.
53. Montes, E., R. Thunell, F. E. Muller-Karger, E. Tappa, L. Lorenzoni, L. Troccoli, Y. Astor, and R. Varela (2013) Sources of δ15N variability in sinking particulate nitrogen in the Cariaco Basin, Venezuela. Deep Sea Research Part II: Topical Studies in Oceanography, 93, 96–107. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.dsr2.2013.01.006.
54. Morzaria-Luna H. N., C. H. Ainsworth, I. C. Kaplan, P. S. Levin, and E. A. Fulton (2013) Indirect Effects of Conservation Policies on the Coupled Human-Natural Ecosystem of the Upper Gulf of California. PLoS ONE 8, e64085, doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0064085.
55. Muller-Karger, F. (2013) Remote Sensing Applications to Ocean and Human Health. Encyclopedia of Sustainability Science and Technology.
56. Muller-Karger, F., M. Roffer, N. Walker, M. Oliver, O. Schofield, M. Abbott, H. Graber, R. Leben, and G. Goni (2013) Satellite Remote Sensing in Support of an Integrated Ocean Observing System. Geoscience and Remote Sensing Magazine 1, 8,18, http://dx.doi.org/10.1109/MGRS.2013.2289656.
57. Murawski, S. A., and W. T. Hogarth (2013) Enhancing the ocean observing system to meet restoration challenges in the Gulf of Mexico. Oceanography 26, 10–16, http://dx.doi.org/10.5670/ oceanog.2013.12.
58. Mutshinda, C. M., L. Troccoli-Ghinaglia, Z. V. Finkel, F. E. Muller-Karger, and A. J. Irwin (2013) Environmental control of the dominant phytoplankton in the Cariaco basin: a hierarchical Bayesian approach. Marine Biology Research 9, 247-261. http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/17451000.2012.731693.
59. Ng, T. F. F., S. Alavandi, A. Varsani, S. Burghart, and M. Breitbart (2013) Metagenomic identification of a nodavirus and a circular ssDNA virus in semi-purified viral nucleic acids from the hepatopancreas of healthy Farfantepenaeus duorarum shrimp. Diseases of Aquatic Organisms 105, 237-242.
60. Ng, T. F. F., C. Driscoll, R. Myers, D. Limpert, R. Schmieder, B. Dwivedi, J. Wong, Y. Cha, K. Feldman, S. Head, M. Breitbart, and E. Delwart (2013) Distinct lineage of vesiculovirus from big brown bats in the USA. Emerging Infectious Diseases, doi: 10.3201/eid1912.12150.
61. Olson, M. B. and K. L. Daly (2013) Micro-grazer biomass, composition and distribution across prey resource and dissolved oxygen gradients in the far eastern tropical north Pacific Ocean. Deep-Sea Research I 75, 28-38.
62. Otremba, Z., O. Zielinski, and C. Hu (2013) Optical contrast of oil dispersed in seawater under windy conditions. J. Europ. Opt. Soc. Rap. Public. 8, 13051, doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.2971/jeos.2013.13051.
63. Padilla-Rodriguez, M., K. Rosario, and M. Breitbart (2013) Discovery of a novel cyclovirus found in a Florida Woods Cockroach (Eurycotis floridana). Archives of Virology 158, 1389-1392.
64. Patsavas, M. C., R. H. Byrne and X. Liu (2013) Physical-chemical characterization of purified cresol red for spectrophotometric pH measurements in seawater. Marine Chemistry 55, 158-164, http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.marchem.2013.06.007.
65. Patsavas, M. C., R. H. Byrne, and X. Liu (2013) Purification of meta cresol purple and cresol red by flash chromatography: procedures for ensuring accurate spectrophotometric seawater pH measurements. Marine Chemistry 150, 19-24, http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.marchem.2013.01.004.
66. Paul, J. H., D. Hollander, P. Coble, K. L. Daly, S. Murawski, D. English, J. Basso, J. Delaney, L. McDaniel, and C. Kovach (2013) Toxicity and Mutagenicity of Gulf of Mexico Waters During and After The Deepwater Horizon Oil Spill. Environmental Science & Technology 47, 9651-9659, doi: 10.1021/es401761h.
67. Peloquin, J., C. Swan, N. Gruber, M. Vogt, H. Claustre, J. Ras, J. Uitz, R. Barlow, M. Behrenfeld, R. Bidigare, H. Dierssen, G. Ditullio, E. Fernandez, C. Gallienne, S. Gibb, R. Goericke, L. Harding, E. Head, P. Holligan, S. Hooker, D. Karl, M. Landry, R. Letelier, C.A. Llewellyn, M. Lomas, M. Lucas, A. Mannino, J-C. Marty, B. G. Mitchell, F. Muller-Karger, N. Nelson, C. O'Brien, B. Prezelin, D. Repeta, W. O. Jr. Smith, D. Smythe-Wright, R. Stumpf, A. Subramaniam, K. Suzuki, C. Trees, M. Vernet, N. Wasmund, and S. Wright (2013) The MAREDAT global database of high performance liquid chromatography marine pigment measurements. Earth Syst. Sci. Data 5, 109-123, doi:10.5194/essd-5-109-2013.
68. Piñones, A., E. E. Hofmann, K. L. Daly, M. S. Dinniman, and J. M. Klinck (2013) Modeling environmental controls on the transport and fate of early life history stages of Antarctic krill (Euphausia superba) on the western Antarctic Peninsula continental shelf. Deep-Sea Research I 82, 17-31.
69. Piñones, A., E. E. Hofmann, K. L. Daly, M. S. Dinniman, and J. M. Klinck (2013) Modeling the remote and local connectivity of Antarctic krill (Euphausia superba) populations along the western Antarctic Peninsula. Marine Ecology Progress Series 481, 69-92.
70. Pitcher, T. J., M. Lam, C. H. Ainsworth, A. Martindale, K. Nakamura, I. Perry, and T. Ward (2013) Improvements to Rapfish: a rapid evaluation technique for fisheries integrating ecological and human dimensions. Journal of Fish Biology, Doi: 10.1111/jfb.12122.
71. Powell, K. J., P. L. Brown, R. H. Byrne, T. Gajda, G. Hefter, A-K. Leuz, S. Sjoberg, and H. Wanner (2013) Chemical speciation of environmentally significant metals with inorganic ligands. Part 5: The Zn2+ + OH-, Cl-, CO32-, SO42-, and PO43- systems (IUPAC Technical Report) Pure Appl. Chem. 85, 2249-2341, http://dx.doi.org/10.1351/PAC-REP-13-06-03.
72. Radabaugh, K. R., D. J. Hollander and E. B. Peebles (2013) Seasonal 13C and 15N isoscapes of fish populations along a continental shelf trophic gradient. Continental Shelf Research 68, 112-122.
73. Robbins, L. L., J. G. Wynn, J. T. Lisle, K. K. Yates, P. O. Knorr, R. H. Byrne, X. Liu, M. C. Patsavas, K. Azetsu-Scott and T. Takahashi (2013) Baseline monitoring of the western Arctic Ocean estimates 20% of Canadian Basin surface waters are undersaturated with respect to Aragonite. PLoS ONE, 8:e73796, Doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0073796.
74. Rosario, K., M. Padilla-Rodriguez, S. Kraberger, D. Stainton, D. P. Martin, M. Breitbart, and A. Varsani (2013) Discovery of a novel mastrevirus and alphasatellite-like circular DNA in dragonflies (Epiprocta) from Puerto Rico. Virus Research 171, 231-237.
75. Saul, S. E., J. F. Walter III, D. J. Dike, D. F. Naar, and B. T. Donahue (2013) Modeling the spatial distribution of commercially important reef fishes on the West Florida Shelf. Fisheries Research 143, 12-20. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.fishres.2013.01.002.
76. Soli, A. L., B. J. Pav and R. H. Byrne (2013) The effect of pressure on meta-Cresol Purple protonation and absorbance characteristics for spectrophotometric pH measurements in seawater. Marine Chemistry 157, 162–169, http://dx.doi.org/1016/j.marchem.2013.09.003.
77. Sukoriansky, S. and B. Galperin (2013) An analytical theory of the buoyancy - Kolmogorov subrange transition in turbulent flows with stable stratification. Philos. Trans. Royal Soc. A – Math. Phys. Eng. Sci. 371, doi: 10.1098/rsta.2012.0212.
78. Tastula, E.-M., T. Vihma, E. Andreas, and B. Galperin (2013) Validation of the diurnal cycles in atmospheric reanalyses over Antarctic sea ice. Journal of Geophysical Research – Atmospheres 118, 4194-4204, doi:10.1002/jgrd.50336.
79. Thompson, P., G. T. Mitchum, C. Vonesch and J. Li (2013) Storminess Changes in the Southeastern United States during the 20th Century. J. Climate 26, 9713-9726.
80. Tolley, S. G., B. M. Bachelor and E. B. Peebles (2013) Recruitment of the crabs Eurypanopeus depressus, Rhithropanopeus harrisii and Petrolisthes armatus to oyster reefs: The influence of freshwater inflow. Estuaries and Coasts 36, 820–833.
81. Tsimplis, M. N., F. M. Calafat, M. Marcos, G. Jorda, D. Gomis, L. Fenoglio-Marc, M. V. Struglia, S. A. Josey, and D. P. Chambers (2013) The effect of the NAO on sea level and on mass changes in the Mediterranean Sea. J. Geophys. Res. Oceans 118, 944–952, doi:10.1002/jgrc.20078.
82. Ulrich, R. M., D. E. John, G. W. Barton, G. S. Hendrick, D. P. Fries, and J. H. Paul (2013) Ensuring seafood identity: Grouper identification by real-time nucleic acid sequence-based amplification (RT-NASBA). Food Control 31, 337-344.
83. Wahl, T., F. M. Calafat, and M. E. Luther (2013) Rapid changes in the seasonal sea level cycle along the US Gulf coast from the late 20th century. Geophys. Res. Lett. 41, doi:10.1002/2013GL058777.
84. Wang, Z. A., R. Wanninkhof, W-J. Cai, R. H. Byrne, X. Hu, T-H. Peng, and W-J. Huang (2013) The marine inorganic carbon system along the Gulf of Mexico and Atlantic coasts of the United States: insights from a transregional coastal carbon study. Limnology and Oceanography 58, 325-342. doi:10.4319/lo.2013.58.1.0325.
85. Weisberg, R. H., L. Zheng, Y. Liu, S. Murawski, C. Hu and J. Paul (2013). Did Deepwater Horizon hydrocarbons transit to the West Florida continental shelf? Deep Sea Research Part II: Topical Studies in Oceanography (published online).
86. Wirt, K., P. Hallock Muller, D. Palandro, and K. L. Daly (2013) Potential Habitat of Acropora spp. on Florida Reefs. Applied Geography 39, 118-127.
87. Wishner, K. F., D. Outram, B. Seibel, K. L. Daly, and R. L. Williams (2013) Zooplankton in the Eastern Tropical North Pacific: Boundary Effects of Oxygen Minimum Zone Expansion. Deep-Sea Research I 79, 122-140, 10.1016/j.dsr.2013.05.012.
88. Yu, K., and C. Hu (2013) Changes in vegetative coverage of the Hongze Lake national wetland nature reserve: a decade-long assessment using MODIS medium-resolution data. J. Appl. Remote Sens. 7, 073589, doi:10.1117/1.JRS.7.073589.
89. Zhao, J., B. Barnes, N. Melo, D. English, B. Lapointe, F. Muller-Karger, B. Schaeffer, and C. Hu (2013) Assessment of satellite-derived diffuse attenuation coefficients and euphotic depths in south Florida coastal waters. Remote Sensing of Environment 131, 38-50, http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/ j.rse.2012.12.009.
90. Zhao, J., C. Hu, B. Lapointe, N. Melo, E. M. Johns, and R. H. Smith (2013) Satellite-observed black water events off Southwest Florida: Implications for coral reef health in the Florida Keys National Marine Sanctuary. Remote Sens. 5, 415-431, doi:10.3390/rs510415.
91. Zhao, J., C. Hu, J. M. Lenes, R. H. Weisberg, C. Lembke, D. English, J. Wolny, L. Zheng, J. J. Walsh, and G. Kirkpatrick (2013) Three-dimensional structure of a Karenia brevis bloom: observations from gliders, satellites, and field measurements. Harmful Algae. 29, 22–30, http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/ j.hal.2013.07.004.
92. Zheng, L., R.H. Weisberg, Y. Huang, et al., (2013) Implication from the comparisons between two- and three-dimensional model simulations of the Hurricane Ike storm surge. J. Geophys. Res.-Oceans 118, 3350–3369, doi:10.1002/jgrc.20248.
ST. PETERSBURG - Compiled below are the publications for all USFCMS faculty in 2012.
Ainsworth, C. H., H. Morzaria-Luna, I. C. Kaplan, P. Levin, E. A. Fulton, R. Cudney-Bueno, P. Turk-Boyer, J. Torre, G. Danneman, and T. Pfister (2012) Effective ecosystem-based management must encourage regulatory compliance: A Gulf of California case study. Marine Policy, 36, 1275-1283.
Ainsworth, C. H., H. Morzaria-Luna, I. C. Kaplan, P. S. Levin, and E. A. Fulton (2012) Full compliance with harvest regulations yields ecological benefits: Northern Gulf of California case study. Journal of Applied Ecology, 49, 63-72.
Morzaria-Luna, H., C. H. Ainsworth, I. C. Kaplan, P. Levin, and E. Fulton (2012) Exploring trade-offs between fisheries and conservation of the vaquita porpoise (Phocoena sinus) using an Atlantis ecosystem model. PLoS ONE, 7(8), e42917. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0042917.
Varkey, D., C. H. Ainsworth, and T. J. Pitcher (2012) Modeling reef fish population responses to fisheries restrictions in Marine Protected Areas in the Coral Triangle. Journal of Marine Biology, DOI: 10.1155/2012/721483.
Rosario, K., A. Dayaram, M. Marinov, J. Ware, S. Kraberger, D. Stainton, M. Breitbart, and A. Varsani (2012) Diverse circular single-stranded DNA viruses discovered in dragonflies (Odonata: Epiprocta). Journal of General Virology, 93, 2668-2681.
Rosario, K., S. Duffy, and M. Breitbart (2012) A field guide to eukaryotic circular single-stranded DNA viruses: Insights gained from metagenomics. Archives of Virology, 157, 1851-1871.
Nitti, A., C. Daniels, J. Siefert, V. Souza, D. Hollander, and M. Breitbart (2012) Spatially resolved genomic, stable isotopic, and lipid analyses of a modern freshwater microbialite from Cuatro Cienegas, Mexico. Astrobiology, 12, 685-698.
Daniels, C. and M. Breitbart (2012) Bacterial communities associated with the ctenophores Mnemiopsis leidyi and Beroe ovata. FEMS Microbiology Ecology, 82, 90-101.
Dwivedi, B., R. Schmieder, D. B. Goldsmith, R. A. Edwards, and M. Breitbart (2012) PhiSiGns: an online tool to identify signature genes in phages and design PCR primers for examining phage diversity. BMC Bioinformatics, 13, 37.
Breitbart, M. (2012) Marine viruses: truth or dare. Annual Review of Marine Science, 4, 425-448.
Parsons, R. J., M. Breitbart, M. W. Lomas, and C. A. Carlson (2012) Ocean time-series reveals recurring seasonal patterns of virioplankton dynamics in the northwestern Sargasso Sea. ISME Journal, 6, 273-284.
Feely, R. A., C. L. Sabine, R. H. Byrne, F. J. Millero, A. G. Dickson, R. Wanninkhof, A. Murata, L. A. Miller, and D. Greeley (2012) Decadal changes in the aragonite and calcite saturation state of the Pacific Ocean. Global Biogeochemical Cycles, 26, GB3001, doi: 10.1029/2011GB004157.
Mathis, J. T., R. S. Pickart, R. H. Byrne, C. L. McNeil, G. W. K. Moore, L. W. Juranek, X. Liu, J. Ma, R. A. Easley. M. M. Elliott, J. N. Cross, S. C. Reinsdorph, F. Bahr, J. Morison, T. Lichendorf, and R. Feely (2012) Storm-induced upwelling of high pCO2 waters onto the continental shelf of the western Arctic Ocean and implications for carbonate mineral saturation states. Geophysical Research Letters, 39, L07606, doi: 10.1029/2012GL051574.
Easley, R. A. and R. H. Byrne (2012) Spectrophotometric calibration of pH electrodes in seawater using purified m-cresol purple. Environmental Science and Technology, 46, 5018–024, dx.doi.org/10.1021/es300491s.
Ma, J., B. Yang, and R. H. Byrne (2012) Determination of nanomolar chromate in drinking water with solid phase extraction and a portable spectrophotometer. Journal of Hazardous Materials, 219-220, 247–252.
Bell, R. J., W. B. Savidge, S. K. Toler, R. H. Byrne, and R.T. Short (2012) In situ determination of porewater gases by underwater flow-through membrane inlet spectrometry. Limnology and Oceanography: Methods, 10, 117–128.
Ma, J. and R. H. Byrne (2012) Flow injection analysis of nanomolar silicate using long pathlength absorbance spectroscopy. Talanta, 88, 484-489.
Chambers, D. P., M. A. Merrifield, and R. S. Nerem (2012) Is there a 60-year oscillation in global mean sea level?. Geophys. Res. Lett., 39, L18607, doi:10.1029/2012GL052885.
Calafat, F. M., D. P. Chambers, and M. N. Tsimplis (2012) Mechanisms of decadal sea level
variability in the eastern North Atlantic and the Mediterranean Sea. J. Geophys. Res., 117, C09022, doi:10.1029/2012JC008285.
Chambers, D. P., and J. A. Bonin (2012) Evaluation of Release-05 GRACE time-variable gravity coefficients over the ocean. Ocean Science, 8, 1–10, www.ocean-sci.net/8/1/2012/doi:10.5194/os-8-1-2012.
Halpern, B. S., C. Longo, D. Hardy, K. McLeod, J. F. Samhouri, S. K. Katona, K. Kleisner, S. E. Lester, J. O'Leary, M. Ranelletti, A. A. Rosenberg, C. Scarborough, E. Selig, B. Best, D. Brumbaugh, F. S. Chapin, L. Crowder, K. L. Daly, S. Doney, M. J. Fogarty, S. D. Gaines, K. Jacobsen, L. B. Karrer, H. M. Leslie, D. Pauly, S. Polasky, K. St. Martin, G. S. Stone, U. R. Sumaila, H. Tallis, and D. Zeller (2012) An Ocean Health Index: quantifying and mapping the health of global marine ecosystems. Nature, 488, 615-620_10.1038/nature11397. [Smithsonian rated this paper one of the 10 best ocean stories of the year. http://blogs.smithsonianmag.com/science/2012/12/the-ten-best-ocean-stories-of-2012/]
Murphy, E. J., R. D. Cavanagh, E. E. Hofmann, S. L. Hill, A. J. Constable, D. P. Costa, M. H. Pinkerton, N. M. Johnston, P. N. Trathan, J. M. Klinck, D. A. Wolf-Gladrow, K. L. Daly, O. Maury, and S. C. Doney (2012) Developing integrated models of Southern Ocean food webs: including ecological complexity, accounting for uncertainty and the importance of scale. Progress in Oceanography, 102, 74–92.
Fefilatyev, S., M. Shreve, K. Kramer, L. Hall, D. Goldgof, R. Kasturi, K. Daly, A. Remsen, and H. Bunke (2012) Label-Noise Reduction with Support Vector Machines. International Conference on Pattern Recognition. Nov. 11-15, Tsukuba, Japan. Journal of Machine Learning Research. [student in Computer Sciences lead author; I was lead PI on grant]
Witham, F., J. D. Blundy, S. C. Dohn, P. Lesne, J. E. Dixon, S. Churakov, and R. Botcharnikov (2012) SolEx: A model for mixed COHSCl-fluid solubilities and exsolved gas compositions in basalt. Computers & Geosciences, 45, 87-97. (3 citations)
Dixon, J. E., Working towards a sustainable global ocean: Research highlights at the College of Marine Science, University of South Florida. Global Scientia, 1, 12-15. (0 citations)
Podlaska A., S. G. Wakeham, K. A. Fanning, and G. T. Taylor (2012) Microbial community structure and chemoautotrophic activity in the oxygen minimum zone of the eastern tropical North Pacific. Deep-Sea Research Part I, 66, 77-89, doi:10.1016/j.dsr.2012.04.002.
Sukoriansky, S., N. Dikovskaya, R. Grimshaw, and B. Galperin (2012) Rossby waves and zonons in zonostrophic turbulence. AIP Conf. Proc., 1439, 111-122, doi: 10.1063/1.3701355.
Lorenzoni, L., C. Benitez-Nelson, R. C. Thunell, D. Hollander, R. Varela, Y. Astor, and F. E. Muller-Karger (2012) Potential role of event-driven sediment transport on sediment accumulation in the Cariaco Basin, Venezuela. Mar. Geol. doi:10.1016/j.margeo.2011.12.009.
Montes, E., F. Muller-Karger, R. C. Thunell, D. Hollander, Y. Astor, R. Varela, I. Soto and L. Lorenzoni (2012) Vertical fluxes of particulate biogenic material through the euphotic and twilight zones in the Cariaco Basin, Venezuela. Deep-Sea Res. I, 67, 73-84. DOI: 10.1016/j.dsr.2012.05.005.
Richey, J. N, R. Z. Poore, B. P. Flower, and D. J. Hollander (2012) Ecological controls on the shell geochemistry of pink and white Globigerinoides ruber in the northern Gulf of Mexico: Implications for paleoceanographic reconstruction. Marine Micropaleontology, doi:10.1016/j.marmicro.2011.10.002
Joye, S. B., I. Leifer, I. R. MacDonald, J. P. Chanton, C. D. Meile, A. P. Teske, J. E. Kostka, L. Chistoserdova, R. Coffin, D. J. Hollander, M. Kastner, J. P. Montoya, G. Reheder, E. Solomon, T. Treude, and T.A. Villareal (2011), Technical Comment on "A Persistent Oxygen Anomaly Reveals the Fate of Spilled Methane in the Deep Gulf of Mexico" by Kessler et al., Science, 332/6033 DOI: 10.1126/science.1203307 (Appeared January 2012).
Richey, J., B. Flower, D. J. Hollander, and T. Eglinton (2011), Merging Molecular Organic and Foraminiferal-Based Sedimentary Geochemical Records of Gulf of Mexico SST, Paleoceanography, doi:10.1029/2010PA002000 (Appeared March 2012).
Fishman, J., L. T. Iraci, J. Al-Saadi, K. Change, F. Chavez, M. Chin, P. Coble, C. Davis, P. M.
DiGiacomo, D. Edwards, A. Eldering, J. Goes, J. Herman, C. Hu, D. J. Jacob, C. Jordan,
S. R. Kawa, R. Key, X. Liu, S. Lohrenz, A. Mannino, V. Natraj, D. Neil, J. Neu, M.
Newchurch, K. Pickering, J. Salisbury, H. Sosik, A. Subramaniam, M. Tzortziou, J. Wang,
and M. Wang (2012) The United States' next generation of atmospheric composition and
coastal ecosystem measurement: NASA's Geostationary Coastal and Air Pollution Events
(GEO-CAPE) Mission. BAMS, October 2012, 1547-1566, DOI:10.1175/BAMS-D-11-
00201.1. [Impact factor: 6.026]
Hu, C., L. Feng, and Z. Lee (2012) Evaluation of GOCI sensitivity for at-sensor radiance and
GDPS-retrieved chlorophyll-a products. Ocean Science Journal, 47, 279-285.
Duan, H., R. Ma, and C. Hu (2012) Evaluation of remote sensing algorithms for cyanobacterial
pigment retrievals during spring bloom formation in several lakes of East China. Remote
Sens. Environ., 126, 126-135. [Impact factor: 4.574]
Hu, C., L. Feng, Z. Lee, C. O. Davis, A. Mannino, C. R. McClain, and B. A. Franz (2012)
Dynamic range and sensitivity requirements of satellite ocean color sensors: learning from
the past. Appl. Opt., 51, 6045-6062. [Impact factor: 1.748]
Lee, Z., C. Hu, R. Arnone, and Z. Liu (2012) Impact of sub-pixel variations on ocean color remote sensing products. Opt. Express, 20, 20,844-20,854. [Impact factor: 3.587]
Feng, L., C. Hu, and X. Chen (2012). Satellites capture the drought severity around China's
largest freshwater lake. IEEE Journal of Selected Topics in Applied Earth Observations
and Remote Sensing, 5,1266-1271. [Impact factor: 1.489]
Feng, L., C. Hu, X. Chen, L. Tian, and L. Chen (2012) Human induced turbidity changes in
Poyang Lake between 2000 and 2010: Observations from MODIS. J. Geophys. Res., 117,
C07006, doi:10.1029/2011JC007864. [Impact factor: 3.021]
Chollett, I., P. J. Mumby, F. E. Muller-Karger, and C. Hu (2012) Physical environments of the
Caribbean Sea. Limnol. Oceanogr., 57,1233-1244. [Impact factor: 3.416]
Feng, L., C. Hu, X. Chen, X. Cai, L. Tian, and W. Gan (2012) Assessment of inundation changes of Poyang Lake using MODIS observations between 2000 and 2010. Remote Sensing of Environment, 121, 80-92. [Impact factor: 4.574]
Hu, C., Z. Lee, and B. Franz (2012) Chlorophyll a algorithms for oligotrophic oceans: A novel
approach based on three-band reflectance difference. J. Geophys. Res., 117, C01011,
doi:10.1029/2011JC007395. [Impact factor: 3.021]
Arnott, K. D., A. Valle-Levinson, and M. E. Luther (2012) Friction-dominated exchange in a Florida estuary. Estuarine, Coastal and Shelf Science, 113, 248-258.
Rowell, T. J., M. T. Scharer, R. S. Appeldoorn, M. I. Nemeth, D. A. Mann, and J. A. Rivera (2012) Sound production as an indicator of red hind density at a spawning aggregation. Mar. Ecol. Prog. Ser., 462, 241-250.
Wall, C. C., C. Lembke, and D. Mann (2012) Shelf-scale mapping of sound production by fishes in the eastern Gulf of Mexico, using autonomous glider technology. Mar. Ecol. Prog. Ser., 449, 55-64.
Locascio, J., and D. Mann (2012) Quantitative and temporal relationships of egg production and sound production by black drum, Pogonia cromis. J. Fish. Biol., DOI: 10.1111/j.1095-8649.2012.03376.x
Scharer, M. T., M. I. Nemeth, D. Mann, J. Locascio, R. S. Appeldoorn, T. J. and Rowell (2012) Sound production and reproductive behavior of yellowfin grouper, Mycteroperca venenosa (Serranidae) at a spawning aggregation. Copeia, 136-145.
Martin, K, S. Alessi, J. Gaspard, A. Tucker, G. Bauer, and D. Mann (2012) Underwater hearing in the loggerhead turtle (Caretta caretta): a comparison of behavioral and auditory evoked potential audiograms. J. Exp. Biol. 215, 3001-3009.
Webb, J., R. M. Walsh, B. Casper, D. A. Mann, N. Kelly, and N. Cicchino (2012) Development of the ear, hearing capabilities and laterophysic connection in the spotfin butterflyfish (Chaetodon ocellatus). Env. Biol. Fish., DOI 10.1007/s10641-012-9991-7.
Bauer, G. B., J. C. Gaspard III, D. E. Colbert, J. B. Leach, S. A. Stamper, D. Mann, and R. Reep (2012) Tactile discrimination of textures by Florida manatees (Trichechus manatus latirostris). Mar. Mam. Sci., DOI: 10.1111/j.1748-7692.2012.00565.x
Gaspard, J.C., G. B. Bauer, R. L. Reep, K. Dziuk, A. Cardwell, L. Read, D. A. Mann (2012) Audiogram and auditory critical ratios of two Florida manatees (Trichechus manatus latirostris). J. Exp. Biol. 215, 1442-1447.
Merrifield, M. A., P. Thompson, D. P. Chambers, G. T. Mitchum, M. Menéndez, R. S. Nerem, E. Leuliette, L. Miller, S. Holgate, J. J. Marra, and W. Sweet (2012) Sea level variability and change, in "State of the Climate in 2011", Bull. Amer. Met. Soc., 93(7), S81-84.
Ayoub, L. M., P. Hallock, P. G. Coble, S. S. Bell (2012) MAA-like absorbing substances in Florida Keys phytoplankton vary with distance from shore and CDOM: Implications for coral reefs. JEMBE, 420, 91-98. DOI: 10.1016/j.jembe.2012.03.026. – Impact Factor: 1.875
Hallock, P. (2012) The FORAM Index revisited:Usefulness, challenges and limitations. Proc. International Coral Reef Symposium, Cairns, Australia, July 9-13, 2012.
Morsilli, M., F. R. Bosellini, L. Pomar, P. Hallock, M. Aurell, and C. A. Papazzoni (2012.) Mesophotic coral buildups in a prodelta setting (Late Eocene, southern Pyrenees, Spain): a mixed carbonate–siliciclastic system. Sedimentology, 59, 766-794. DOI: 10.1111/j.1365-3091.2011.01275.x – Impact Factor: 2.295
Pomar, L., M. Morsilli, P. Hallock, and B. Bádenas (2012) Internal waves, an under-explored source of turbulence events in the sedimentary record. Earth-Science Reviews, 111(1-2), 56-81. DOI: 10.1016/j.earscirev.2011.12.005. – Impact Factor: 6.594
Triantaphyllou, M. V., M. D. Dimiza, O. Koukousioura, and P. Hallock (2012) Observations on the life cycle of the symbiont-bearing foraminifer Amphistegina lobifera Larsen, an invasive species in coastal ecosystems of the Aegean Sea (Greece, E Mediterranean). Journal of Foraminiferal Research, 42(2), 143-150. – Impact Factor: 1.69
Cett, I., P. J. Mumby, F. E. Müller-Karger, and C. Hu (2012) Physical environments of the Caribbean Sea. Limnology and Oceanography. Limnol. Oceanogr., 57(4), 1233–1244. doi:10.4319/lo.2012.57.4.1233.
Chollett, I., F. E. Müller-Karger, S. F. Heron, W. Skirving, and P. J. Mumby (2012) Seasonal and spatial heterogeneity of recent sea surface temperature trends in the Caribbean Sea and southeast Gulf of Mexico. Marine Pollution Bulletin, http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.marpolbul.2012.02.016.
Lindo-Atichati, D., F. Bringas, G. Goni, B. Muhling, F. E. Muller-Karger, and S. Habtes (2012) Variability of mesoscale structures with effects on larval fish distribution in the northern Gulf of Mexico during spring months. Marine Ecology Progress Series, Vol. 463, 245–257, doi:10.3354/meps09860.
Muhling, B. A., M. A. Roffer, J. T. Lamkin, G. W. Ingram Jr., M. A. Upton, G. Gawlikowski, F. Muller-Karger, S. Habtes, W. J. Richards (2012) Overlap between Atlantic bluefin tuna spawning grounds and observed Deepwater Horizon surface oil in the northern Gulf of Mexico. Mar. Pollut. Bull., doi:10.1016/j.marpolbul.2012.01.034.
Muller-Karger, F., K. Fanning, A. Hine, W. Hogarth, and J. Dixon (2010) (published 2012) The College of Marine Science at the University of South Florida. Gulf of Mexico Science. Vol. XXVIII, No. 1-2. p. 164-172.
Soto-Ramos, I. M., C. Hu, K. A. Steidinger, F. Muller-Karger, J. Cannizzaro, J. Wolny, S. Cerdeira-Estrada, E. Santamaria-del-Angel, F. Tafoya-del-Angel, P. Alvarez-Torres, J. Herrera-Silveira, and J. Allen (2012) Bi-National Collaborations on Harmful Algal Blooms Research in the Gulf of Mexico. Eos AGU Transactions. Eos, 93(5), 31. 0. 49-50.
Taylor, G. T., F. E. Muller-Karger, R. C. Thunell, M. I. Scranton, Y. Astor, R. Varela, L. T. Ghinaglia, L. Lorenzoni, K. A. Fanning, S. Hameed, and O. Doherty (2012) Ecosystem responses in the southern Caribbean Sea to global climate change. PNAS, 109(47), 19315–19320.
McNutt, M. K., S. Chu, J. Lubchenco, T. Hunter, G. Dreyfus, S. A. Murawski, and D. M. Kennedy (2012) Applications of science and engineering to quantify and control the Deepwater Horizon oil spill. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, 109(50), 20222.
Lubchenco, J., M. K. McNutt, G. Dreyfus, S. A. Murawski, D. M. Kennedy, P. T. Anastas, S. Chu, and T. Hunter (2012). Science in Support of the Deepwater Horizon Response. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, 109(50), 20212.
Murawski, S. A., M. P. Sissenwine, P. Mace, W. Hogarth (2012) Rebuilding Depleted Fishery Stocks Under Environmental Variation: A Flexible Approach to MSY Biomass Targets. ICES CM 2012/L:11.
Allee, R. J., A. W. David, and D. F. Naar (2012) Ch. 30: Two Shelf Edge Marine Protected Areas in the Eastern Gulf of Mexico. In Seafloor Geomorphology as Benthic Habitat: GeoHab Atlas of seafloor geomorphic features and benthic habitats. (Harris, P. T. and Baker, E. D., eds.), Elsevier, Amsterdam, 435-448, ISBN: 978-0-12-385140-6.
Wright, D. J., J. T. Roberts, D. Fenner, J. R. Smith, A. P. Koppers, D. F. Naar, E. R. Hirsch, L. W. Clift, and K. R. Hogrefe (2012) Ch. 58: Seamounts, Ridges, and Reef Habitats of American Samoa. In Seafloor Geomorphology as Benthic Habitat: GeoHab Atlas of seafloor geomorphic features and benthic habitats. (Harris, P. T. and Baker, E. D., eds.), Elsevier, Amsterdam, 791-806, ISBN: 978-0-12-385140-6.
Ray, J. S., J. J. Mahoney, R. A. Duncan, J. Ray, P. Wessel, and D. F. Naar (2102) Chronology and geochemistry of lavas from the Nazca Ridge and Easter Seamount Chain: a ~30 Myr hotspot record, Journal of Petrology, 53(7), 1417-1448, doi:10.1093/petrology/egs021.
John, D. E., J. E. Corredor, J. M. Lopez, A. Cabrera, and J. H. Paul (2012) A day in the life in the dynamic marine environment: how nutrients shape diel patterns of phytoplankton photosynthesis and carbon fixation gene expression in the Mississippi and Orinoco River plumes, Hydrobiologia, 679, 155–173.
McDaniel, L. D., E. C. Young, K. B. Ritchie, and J. H. Paul (2012) Environmental Factors Influencing Gene Transfer Agent (GTA) Mediated Transduction in the Subtropical Ocean. PLoS ONE, 7(8): e43506. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0043506.
Radabaugh, K. R and E. B. Peebles (2012) Detection and classification of phytoplankton deposits along an estuarine gradient. Estuaries and Coasts, 35: 1361-1375. 4
Tolley, S. G., B. M. Brosious, J. T. Evans, J. L. Nelson, L. H. Haynes, L. K. Heine, S. E. Burghart and E. B. Peebles (2012) Freshwater inflow effects on larval fish and crab settlement onto oyster reefs. Journal of Shellfish Research, 31, 895-908.
Radabaugh, K. R and E. B. Peebles (2012) Detection and classification of phytoplankton deposits along an estuarine gradient. Estuaries and Coasts, 35, 1361-1375. 4
Tolley, S. G., B. M. Brosious, J. T. Evans, J. L. Nelson, L. H. Haynes, L. K. Heine, S. E. Burghart and E.B. Peebles (2012) Freshwater inflow effects on larval fish and crab settlement onto oyster reefs. Journal of Shellfish Research, 31, 895-908.
Shevenell, A. E. and S. M. Bohaty (2012) Southern exposure: New paleoclimate insights from Southern Ocean and Antarctic margin sediments. Oceanography, 25(3), 106–117, http://dx.doi.org/10.5670/oceanog.2012.82.
Liu, Z., L. Fan, S.-I. Shin, and Q. Liu (2012) Assessing atmospheric response to surface forcing in the observation: Part II: Cross-validation of seasonal response using GEFA and LIM. Journal of Climate, 25, 6817-6834.
Stallings, C. D. and A. L. Dingeldein (2012) Intraspecific cooperation facilitates synergistic predation. Bulletin of Marine Science, 88, 317-318.
Hixon, M. A., T. W. Anderson, K. L. Buch, D. W. Johnson, J. B. McLeod and C. D. Stallings (2012) Density dependence and population regulation in marine fish: a large-scale, long-term field manipulation. Ecological Monographs, 82, 467-489.
Note 1: author contributions were equal (indicated in paper acknowledgements)
Note 2: selected as the cover article.
Torres J. J., M. D. Grigsby, and M. E. Clarke (2012) Aerobic and anaerobic metabolism in oxygen minimum layer fishes: the role of alcohol dehydrogenase. Journal of Experimental Biology, 215, 1905-1914.
Broadbent H. A., T. P. Ketterl, A. M. Silverman, and J. J. Torres (2012) Development of a CTD biotag: Challenges and Pitfalls. Deep-Sea Research II, http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.dsr2.2012.07.030.
Saba, G. K., O. Schofield, J. J Torres, E. H. Ombres, and D. K. Steinberg (2012) Increased feeding and nutrient excretion of adult Antarctic krill, Euphausia superba, exposed to enhanced carbon dioxide (CO2) PLOS ONE, 7(12) e52224.
Walsh, J. J., J. M. Lenes, B. P. Darrow, and F. R. Chen (2012) Forecasting and modeling of harmful algal blooms in the coastal zone. In "Volume 9, Estuarine and Coastal Ecosystem Modeling, of the Treatise on Estuarine and Coastal Science", eds. D. Baird and A. Mehta, Elsevier, pp 217-330.
Lenes, J. M., J. M. Prospero, W. M. Landing, J. J. Virmani, and J. J. Walsh (2012) A model of Saharan dust deposition to the eastern Gulf of Mexico. Mar. Chem., 134, 1-9.
Zheng, L. and R. H. Weisberg (2012) Modeling the West Florida Coastal Ocean by Downscaling from the Deep Ocean, Across the Continental Shelf and into the Estuaries, Ocean Modeling, 48, 10-29, doi:10.1016/j.ocemod.2012.02.002.
Lenes, J. M., B. P. Darrow, J. J. Walsh, J. K. Jolliff, F. R. Chen, R. H. Weisberg, and L. Zheng (2012) A 1-D simulation analysis of the development and maintenance of the 2001 red tide of the ichthyotoxic dinoflagellate Karenia brevis on the West Florida shelf. Cont. Shelf Res., 41, 92-100, doi:10.1016/j.csr.2012.04.007.
Liu, Y., R. H. Weisberg, S. Vignudelli, L. Roblou and C. R. Merz (2012) Comparison of the XTRACK Altimetry Estimated Currents with Moored ADCP and HF radar Observations on the West Florida Shelf, Advances in Space Research, 50, 1085-1098, doi:10.1016/j.asr.2011.09.012.
Liu, Y. and R. H. Weisberg (2012) Seasonal Variability on the West Florida Shelf. Prog. Oceanogr., 104, 80-98, doi:10.1016/j.pocean.2012.06.001.
Weisberg, R. H., Y. Liu, C. R. Merz, J. I. Virmani, and L. Zheng (2012) A critique of alternative power generation for Florida by mechanical and solar means. Mar. Tech. Soc. J., 46, 5, 12-23, doi:10.4031/MTSJ.46.5.1.
Merz, C. R., R. H. Weisberg, and Y. Liu (2012) Evolution of the USF/CMS CODAR and WERA HF Radar Network, IEEE Oceans 2012, doi:10.1109/OCEANS.2012.6404947.
Merz, C. R.,W. M. Moreno, M. Barger, S. M. Lipka, Salinity Gradient Power (SGP): A developmental roadmap covering existing generation technologies and recent investigative results into the feasibility of bipolar memebrand-based salinity gradient power generation, Technology & Innovation, Volume 14, Numbers 3-4, December 2012, pp. 249-275(27).
Fefilatyev, S., D. Goldgof, M. Shreve, and C. Lembke (2012) Detection and tracking of ships in open sea with rapidly moving buoy-mounted camera system, Ocean Engineering, OE-D-11-00395R1.