How do I send out my gmail but make it look like it's coming from another of my e-mail addresses? To do this you need to configure an alias. You will also need access to the account you wish to setup the alias for. A confirmation e-mail will get sent to the account to make sure it's yours.
- Login into the @mail.usf.edu webmail interface at http://mail.usf.edu
- Click on the gear icon in the upper right corner and select "Mail Settings"
- Click on the "Accounts" category
- Beside "Send Mail As:", click on the "Add another email address you own" link
- Add in your name and the e-mail address of the alias. Leave "Treat as an alias" checked. You must have access to this e-mail address in order to receive a confirmation number..
Click "Next Step >>"
- Normally you will leave the "Send through University of South Florida Mail" selected. Only instructions for this method are being given.
Click "Next Step >>".
- Now click the "Send Verification" button to send an e-mail to the address you entered to verify you have access to the alias.
- Wait for the confirmation e-mail and enter the confirmation number and click "Verify"
- The "Send Mail As" section of the configuation window should now show your e-mail address. If it doesn't then refresh the browser window.
You could click on "make default" if you wish this address to be the default address shown when you e-mail someone. This will be used automatically when you send mail through the webmail interface.
If you are using a e-mail client, like Thunderbird or Outlook, then you must set your e-mail address for your g-mail account to the alias address in order to allow the recipients to get mail showing the alias address in the From: line.
- To allow Thunderbird to e-mail to @mail.usf.edu and have it appear as another address, click on Tools/Account Settings. Click on the @mail.usf.edu acount in the left column. On the right it will show the Account name and have a "Email Address:" field. Change the e-mail address from your @mail.usf.edu address to the alias address you configured in the gmail configuration window. Click OK. Now any mail you send will have the alias address on the From line.