How do I get my network jack activated?
Look for a jack number on the jack you wish to get activated. The network jacks are typically orange in color, where the phone jacks are gray. Contact Doug firstname.lastname@example.org to get the jack activated.
How do I get wireless network access?
If you are in a area with standard wireless access (see FAQ for areas covered) then you have to get your wireless card registered. You can register using either the USF Green or USF Gold wireless. USF Green wireless is unsecured, you must re-register every semester, and must be used by visitors. USF Gold may be used by anyone with a NetID or portal login.
See the IT FAQ page for more information and instructions.
Click here for instructions activating USF-Gold. Note that the exact method will vary depending on what wireless software you are using. Some wireless interfaces use their own software to manage the login instead of the windows software.
How do I register my device to access the USF (green) wireless?
After connecting to the USF wireless SSID you can open a web browser and you will be automatically redirected to a page which will allow you to register using your NetID.
If for some reason that doesn't work then you can visit the web page https://mhb-dhcp.net.usf.edu/laptops. If you're not registering the computer you are connecting from then you will need to know the MAC address of the wireless network interface on the computer you need to register.
What areas are covered by wireless access?
Wireless Access For Visitors & Conferences
There are 3 ways for a visitor to get wireless access here
- Anyone with a USF NetID or domain login can registered themselves.
- You can request a special login for them from Doug or email@example.com . Please provide the dates which your visitor will be here. It may take a day or two to get this login. The login will only work for the dates you specify.
- You can register it for them using your NetID and the USF Green service (SSID USF). Do NOT register their laptop or device using USF-GOLD. The registration page should appear on their laptops when you open a web browser after connecting to the USF wireless. Or visit the webpage Just visit the web page https://mhb-dhcp.net.usf.edu/laptops/. Don't save your password on their PC. You can register up to 5 wireless devices under your login.
You need to contact Doug or firstname.lastname@example.org as far ahead of time as possible.
We can allow internet access to conference attendees for the duration of the conference through the wireless network. But to do so their computers must be registered with USF.
- Let me know the maximum number of people who will require wireless access and dates of the conference.
- I'll generate a set of unique ID's (username/passwords) and give you handouts with this and how to register the computers.
- Wireless access is granted only for the duration of the conference. You can't register early and after the conference internet access is diabled to those ID's.
- I have to coordinate access through USF IT so if you notify me the day of the conference, you won't get wireless access.
- If there are just one or two attendees, then you (the host or someone with a NetID) can register the laptops for them using the 3rd method mentioned above.
Contact Doug email@example.com.